Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Neighborhood Hirakata: The Park

About a month ago, I arrived in Japan on a late Saturday evening. Though it was dark and I was severely jet-lagged, the first thing I really noticed about my new location for the next five months was the park.
I mean, how could you not? It's a large, wide open plot of land with a couple trees scattered here and there, benches, and a walking path that surrounds the perimeter.
But after being here for about a month now, I've come to realize that the park isn't just there to look pretty.

The park is the center of this community.

The park, seen left, with what I consider the "main drag" of the area. This picture was taken in front of seminar house one.

From early morning until sundown, there is never a dull moment at this park... at least one that I've noticed!
It's not uncommon to see many dog walkers, mostly women in their mid-40s walking their toy poodles or other adorable dogs. These women have routines and often walk their dog(s) at the same time every day. Even though it's only been a couple of weeks, I've already come to recognize the 9 am regulars. Because they're out everyday at the same time, sometimes the women notice each other and congregate in the center of the park. Then they'll start walking the perimeter of the park together and the dogs will go crazy!

Along with dog walkers, there are also exercise walkers. These exercise walkers are out any day, any time, any weather. They are also of every age, which is so impressive. In America, you usually don't see an 80 year old man walking outside, much less walking around a park. But in Japan, it's common. I tend to notice more men than women, usually ages 60 and above, and almost always have some kind of headphones on.
One sunny day I was sitting on a bench reading my visual anthropology (I'm not just saying this to suck up, it's true!) and I got to chatting with a man who had been power walking about 5 laps since I sat down... not that I was counting. We talked in broken Japanese (me) and broken English (him) and he showed me that he had been listening to English lessons on his tape player. He repeated the tape over and over again. It makes me wonder what Japanese people listen to on their mp3, CD, tape players and if they're as interested in English as this man was.

Another huge part of this community are the kids. Kids are always at the park playing some kind of game with each other or with their parents, and it's obvious this is the place to be if you're a kid! Occasionally middle school and high school students will be riding their bikes around and socializing as well.

Though the houses in this part of Hirakata are new...


....and old....
...the park is the center of this community and an important part of daily life.
I've learned a lot about this part of Hirakata through the park, especially that it's meant to welcome all: neighbors, friends, and even gaijin!

But I promise I won't overstay my welcome by being loud and drinking beer!

1 comment:

  1. I like this post a lot because you choose an important part of your neighborhood and provide interesting observations. I also like to read about the interactions you have with your neighbors there. And finally I like to read about a student doing homework in the park rather than drinking beer and disturbing the peace...

    ReplyDelete